One of the biggest problems with designing your garden is knowing where to start. Garden design is not something that comes naturally to most people, which is why it makes sense to seek the advice of professionals.

At Eden Landscape Design we have 30 years of experience in garden design and home landscaping in Cambodia.

There are several factors that are key in creating a successful garden design.

Decide on a Concept

The first step in any garden design is to come up with the initial concept.

This could be a jungle style garden, a Zen garden with water features, a lush and green tropical garden, a colourful garden, or modern and minimalistic. We can help you decide upon the perfect garden concept for your surroundings and the overall architecture.

Purpose of the Garden

Another important factor to bear in mind is what is the purpose of your garden.

Do you want an aesthetically pleasing landscape design or is your garden primarily for hosting parties? This will affect the ideal garden design.

Whatever the purpose of your garden there are several key things to note when developing your garden design.

Some secrets to designing the ideal garden

While developing your garden design, always keep in mind these nine golden rules:

  • Set a budget. We all have wonderful ideas, but you don’t want any nasty surprises at the end of the project.
  • Remember outdoor landscaping, such as pathways and decking. At least 20% of the space should be devoted to this with the remaining 80% allotted to the ‘garden’ area.
  • Keep the design simple. Those wavy lines and complex shapes might look good on paper, but might not translate well to the real world.
  • Choose your plants carefully. Remember you will have to maintain your garden. You don’t want to have to replace ill-chosen plants. It’s both costly and time-consuming.
  • Select the correct species, whether it prefers to be exposed to full sunlight in hot temperatures or rather shaded areas.
  • Less is more. Don’t cram your garden with every type of plant imaginable. Allow space for your plans, trees and shrubs to grow.
  • Make the most of the space you have. This is especially important when you have a small space with which to work. Plants can create optical illusions, transforming a small rectangular space into a larger square space.
  • If you are looking down from your garden from above consider tall plants and palms.
  • Plan a garden which will thrive for years to come and not wither and die after six months.

Work with the experts

If all the above seems a bit overwhelming. That is where hiring an expert garden design concept landscape architecture such as Eden Landscape Design comes in. We will come up with landscaping ideas for your garden design.

We can sweep away all the concerns you may have about how to turn your dream garden into a reality, leaving you only to worry about what the weather will be like, so that you can enjoy your dream garden to the full.